Insomniac Magazine’s Top Ten: Don’t Sleep On These New Releases
Beasts & goblins took over the scene as another Halloween delivered chills & thrills throughout the nation! The underground also scared up its fair share of terror with horror-themed tracks that brought the (haunted) house down! Check out ALL the action below in Insomniac’s Weekly Top 10!
1) CRIMEAPPLE & DANIEL SON team up again for their deadliest collabo yet! On their new Buck Dudley powered gem, the savage spitters deliver nightmares to all opposing forces with a wealth of bars that highlight their rapid ascension to the top of the charts. The block is hot & feds keep muthaf***as on the run…but the REAL heat’s over on “Elm Street!”
2) ROSATI, ROZEWOOD & HUS KINGPIN are spittin’ raw classics as they launch into murderous mic attacks on “Midnight Savages!” The Xtreme laced power joint is in a class by itself as the boulder-crushing soundscape provides the perfect accompaniment for the flawless showcase of lyrical artistry that follows. #TheWinners never lose. Y’all should know that by now!
3) THE CORNEL WEST THEORY brilliantly equate the corrupt & topsy turvy world reimagined by Back To The Future villain, Biff Tannen, with our own twisted society quickly crumbling under the leadership of Donald Trump. On “BIFF To The Future” the underground heroes stare into the abyss(without falling in!!!)as they plot a way to hop back into the Delorean & rewrite history! As darkness overtakes the world, one crew fights hard to deliver us into the light! PRESS PLAY & keep your eyes OPEN!
4) SUPREME CEREBRAL never relents on the raw! The lyrical champion wins again by giving listeners a new soul-infused Free Mind laced masterpiece called “Tryna Score!” With an arsenal of rhymes at the ready, the brilliant mic assassin drops a wide array of verbal jewels & continues to shine! Check out the heat below!
5) LONE CATALYSTS & GREG NICE are kickin’ wicked flows while dropping underground heat for the “CULTURE” on a dope joint called “Rhymes!” Incorporating classic Mantronix stabs into the mix, the crew take us back into time to conjure positive energy & feel good vibes!
6) The bloodthirsty triumvirate of SIR DIGGY, ROCK & AG DA CORONER leave the competition shook on “The Nightmare!” The Nickel Plated produced joint hit us with a monstrous output of ill beats & rhymes we still have yet to recover from! You’ll toss & turn in your sleep all night but appreciate the unyielding exhaustion!
7) VANDERSLICE surprised Hip Hop fans everywhere by releasing a new gem from the vault that featured PRODIGY, CONWAY & BIG TWINS! “Hardbody Karate” delivers dope bars that brutally smack the s**t out of other lyricists who dare compete. With a lineup like this you KNOW you’re only getting the best! It’s a power banger that keeps the speakers shakin’ & never lets go!
8) STATIK SELEKTAH teams up with RUN THE JEWELS for a sonic adventure from his upcoming project, “8!” “Put Jewels On It” is all about hardcore beats, funky grooves, and lyricism that elevate the game! Who want it? YOU DO! Don’t f**k around. Just PRESS PLAY!
9) MICK JENKINS drops a new batch of imaginative, introspective rhymes on the GreenSLLIME produced gem, “Vampire In Brooklyn.” The moody, laid back soundscape allows the Chicago lyricist to bite into gritty subject matter other emcees aren’t competent or capable enough to tackle! Dig deep into the track & check the sounds!
10) We end off the countdown with a legend. DJ PREMIER link up with Harlem’s own A$AP FERG to drop heat on “Our Streets!” The boom bap workout inspires Ferg to leave the Trap alone & deliver the raw ish true heads love! The combo between the two creative entities works so well it left us clamoring for more! Recognize the REAL!
Well that’s it for this week. Catch ya next time and…DON’T SLEEP!
– Kevin Keith